St. Mary's Families,
CORRECTION!!! I know I just sent out an update last Friday, but I made a BIG MISTAKE. I sent out last year's 2019 Best of Springs results instead of this year's 2020 results. My sincere apologies to Fr. Joe Dyget and Coach Mike Burkett who were recognized last year. And apologies to the entire community for conveying St. Mary's as the Bronze Award recipient. Please forgive me. The correct award information is:
- St. Mary's is the SILVER Award recipient this year for BEST HIGH SCHOOL in Colorado Springs. That means in the last six years St. Mary's has received a Silver Award, two Bronze Awards, and three Gold Awards.
- Mr. Tom Harder is the GOLD Award recipient, having been selected as the TOP HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER in all of Colorado Springs! Congratulations Mr. Harder on this incredible honor!
- CASES SPIKING IN COLORADO? The Johns Hopkins website (the jhu.edu site linked below) has some good analysis. On May 29 and May 30 we had the highest number of new cases in Colorado in the last three weeks, and new cases are up very sharply since our two month low on May 25. Stay informed, stay healthy.
- GRADUATION. We are less than two weeks away from our seniors only graduation at the Grace Center at 10 am on Saturday, June 13. The event will be livestreamed. You can get to the livestream here:
- CEREMONY HEALTH SCREENING. The state is requiring all the seniors participating in the graduation to complete a personal health questionnaire the day of the ceremony. We will send that questionnaire out prior to the ceremony. If a graduating senior reports having any of the common COVID-19 symptoms in the 14 days prior to the ceremony (that two week clock started last Saturday), per the governor's instructions, that student will not be allowed to participate.
- SENIOR MASS. We have scheduled a Senior Mass with Bishop Sheridan for 10 am on Friday, June 19, at Holy Apostles. Each senior will be allowed to have a maximum of two guests. Several senior parents asked: If we can have a Mass with seniors and two guests, why can't we have a graduation with seniors and two guests? The answer is: No high school in Colorado is legally allowed to have a graduation with anyone other than the seniors. The governor has not budged on this.
How You Can Help.
- ***10AM TODAY*** ROSARY FOR LIFE. At 10 am TODAY there will be a Rosary on the public sidewalk southeast of the Planned Parenthood at 3480 Centennial Blvd. St. Mary's parent Mary Simmons is coordinating our Students for Life club participation. St. Mary's parent Michele Mason is the Colorado Springs 40 Days for Life coordinator for this effort.
- MARIAN HOUSE HELP NEEDED.
-- After almost 3 months of preparing and distributing just sack lunches to our neighbors in need due to Covid-19, the Catholic Charities Marian House is moving back to serving hot meals in a modified manner on June 8th. Meals will be prepared and plated by volunteers in the kitchen and then served to the clients in shifts at the tables by the paid staff.
-- If you (students and parents) have some time to help prepare and plate meals, please contact Connie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719.866.6554.
-- The shifts are 7 am to 10 am prep, 10 am to 2 pm plate the meals, and 7 am to 2 pm if you'd like to work both shifts. They are in most need of volunteers on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday but please let Connie know If there is another day you can volunteer.
-- Students should bring a COMMUNITY OUTREACH form if they'd like to earn service hours. This is a great cause, and the Marian House is part of the St. Mary's family as St. Mary's parent and board member Andy Barton is the President of Catholic Charities. Thank you!
- SCHOLARSHIPS. The class of 2020 has earned an amazing total of $13 million-plus in scholarships so far. Many of our students have earned multiple scholarships to multiple colleges.
Loss of a St. Mary's Family Member.
- JIM HOPKINS. It is with great sadness that we share the news of Jim Hopkins' passing. Jim was a teacher at St. Mary's, retiring in 2017. Jim had been bravely battling leukemia for more than a year. He passed yesterday, Sunday, surrounded by his family. Several of our current staff members were able to visit Jim this weekend. My thanks to those who made some time to spend with him. Jim will be laid to rest at the Air Force Academy cemetery. We will share additional details as we become aware of them.
Let us pray: Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord. And let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen
Prayer. Please continue to pray with the St. Mary's community this summer:
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions,
but in thy mercy, hear and answer me.
St. Mary's High School