August 10, 2020
Dear Parents, Thank you for your patience as we navigate these unchartered waters; below you will see the most recently updated (as of August 10 at 6:30 am) roll out plan for the beginning of the 2020-2021 School Year at St. Mary’s High School.
We will conduct a SUPER HYBRID FRIDAY event this Friday, August 14, for ALL students grades 9–12. The students will be divided into two groups (that information will follow separately later today). Unfortunately, due to the unusual structure of the day, we will NOT be able to provide transportation for this specific day only.
— Group A will attend all seven class periods beginning with the First Bell and prayer at 7:45 am; they will then run through their school day periods 1–7, but there will be NO LUNCH that day. Group A will be dismissed at 11:00 am.
— Group B will start their day at 12:15 pm, following the same pattern as the morning group with their dismissal coming at 3:30pm.
The purpose of this day is to:
• First and foremost allow the students and the teachers to see each other and reunite in a quasi-normal setting.
• Allow teachers to distribute materials to the students and briefly review expectations, cleaning procedures, etc.
• Allow students to understand the new social distancing, sanitizing, building entry procedures, and expectations.
• This will also offer students and parents an understanding of new traffic flow and drop off points to follow separately (all established by grade level).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
We will begin our OFFICIAL SCHOOL YEAR on August 19. It is our goal to provide in-person education to your students in the safest way possible.
• On Wednesday, August 19, our schedule will officially begin. Group A on August 19 and Group B on the August 20.
• Group A will conduct their in-person classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, while Group B will meet in-person on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Fridays will be an online learning day for all students.
• On Mondays and Wednesdays, Group B will be expected to participate in their classes remotely. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Group A will be expected to participate in their classes remotely.
We feel that this model provides the best opportunity for a safe return to school, in the hopes of returning to a five-days-of-in-person student instruction as soon as possible.
Mike Biondini ’66
Principal / College Counselor