Per our mission, St. Mary's strives to meet the needs of all our students. Over the last several months, the administration has taken intentional steps to ensure the school is creating an environment that is welcoming to everyone in our diverse student body. Some steps that have been taken are:
- Establishing a Diversity Leadership Panel. The primary focus of this panel is to listen to the experiences of our diverse students and alumni to better foster the most welcoming environment possible. We will introduce you to some of the panel members in future communications.
- The Board of Directors voted to adopt the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops pastoral letter on racism titled "Open Wide Our Hearts" as the school’s foundational guidance pertaining to matters of racism and diversity. You can read this pastoral letter at https://www.usccb.org/resources/open-wide-our-hearts_0.pdf
- Additionally, the board and the school administration are working together to look at new policies that are needed and existing policies that may need updating to ensure St. Mary’s formalizes how it addresses the unique needs of all the students we are honored to serve.
- Each month, one of our professional development sessions will be dedicated to equipping our faculty and staff with ways to encourage improvement when opportunities arise that stem from our diverse school community.
- The St. Mary’s administration will keep the school community informed on our progress as we work together to foster the most Christ-centered experience possible for every St. Mary’s student.