Back to School Night, Tuesday, Aug. 31: Click here for more information
Embracing Our Diversity
Per our mission, St. Mary's strives to meet the needs of all our students. Over the last several months, the administration has taken intentional steps to ensure the school is creating an environment that is welcoming to everyone in our diverse student body. Some steps that have been taken are:
- Establishing a Diversity Leadership Panel. The primary focus of this panel is to listen to the experiences of our diverse students and alumni to better foster the most welcoming environment possible. We will introduce you to some of the panel members in future communications.
- The Board of Directors voted to adopt the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops pastoral letter on racism titled "Open Wide Our Hearts" as the school’s foundational guidance pertaining to matters of racism and diversity. You can read this pastoral letter at www.usccb.org/resources/open-wide-our-hearts_0.pdf
- Additionally, the board and the school administration are working together to look at new policies that are needed and existing policies that may need updating to ensure St. Mary’s formalizes how it addresses the unique needs of all the students we are honored to serve.
- Each month, one of our professional development sessions will be dedicated to equipping our faculty and staff with ways to encourage improvement when opportunities arise that stem from our diverse school community.
- The St. Mary’s administration will keep the school community informed on our progress as we work together to foster the most Christ-centered experience possible for every St. Mary’s student.
Student Council Elections
The Student Council election process will begin next week; the schedule for elections is now posted on our website. Students interested in running will also find the application and the student recommendation form on the website.
Registration for the PSAT Opens Monday
The PSAT exam will be given at St. Mary’s on Oct. 16. Registration for the text opens on Monday, Aug. 30. For more information, see our website. To register, fill out this form and return it to the Counseling Office.
Auditions for Fall Play Set for Sept. 7-8
The Pirate Theater Department will hold auditions for its fall play, an 1890s melodrama titled "Little Nell." Students can sign up to audition either Tuesday, Sept. 7, or Wednesday, Sept. 8 from 3:15-4:15 pm in the Cove. Both experienced actors and those just starting out are welcome!
Theater Looking for Barbershop Quartet
The Pirate Theater Department would like to have a barbershop quartet to perform in between scenes of “Little Nell.” All students, men and women, are encouraged to participate. Contact Mrs. Knoepke at email@example.com to volunteer or with questions.
UPCOMING EVENTS (check the calendar and our latest Signals for more information):
Senior events on Aug. 30, Aug. 31
Club Fair, Sept. 1
Mass and Coffee with the President and Principal, Sept. 8
Daily Mass, 7 am (Monday through Thursday, St. Mary’s St. Leo Chapel
Golf Classic, Sept. 17, Register: www.stmarysgolf21.givesmart.com
If you missed last week’s Signal, you missed information on:
The upcoming events listed above
Details on our livestreaming program this year with the NFHS Network
New way to log volunteer hours